What if I share my apartment with a roommate? Do we both need to have renters insurance?

Standard renter's policies cover only you and relatives that live with you. If your roommate is not a relative, each of you will need your own renter's policy to cover your own property and to provide you liability coverage for your own actions.

However, we do have companies that will allow you to list your roommate as an Additional Insured on the same policy.

Please see our "Web Links" section for links to our Homeowner's Manufactured Home, and Flood Insurance Websites.  They each contain additional information on Renter's Insurance.

Why Do Some Apartment Complexes Require Tenants to Have Renters Insurance?

Owners of apartment complexes buy insurance for their liability and to cover their buildings and property. This insurance does not cover any of the tenant's property or liability. When landlords require tenants to have renters insurance, the apartment owner is making sure that the tenants will not think the apartment complex policy will cover the tenant's property or provide the tenant coverage for events causing damage or injury for which the tenant is liable.

How Does a Renter's Policy Protect My Personal Property?

A renters policy provides named perils coverage. This means that the policy only pays when your property is damaged or destroyed by ways specifically described in the policy. These usually include:

  • Fire or lightning
  • Windstorm or hail
  • Explosions
  • Riots
  • Aircraft
  • Vehicles
  • Smoke
  • Vandalism or malicious mischief
  • Theft
  • Falling objects
  • Weight of ice, snow, or sleet
  • Accidental discharge or overflow of water or steam
  • Freezing

Renter's coverage applies to your personal property no matter where you are.

Why Would I Want to Buy Renters Insurance?

If you live in an apartment or a rented house, renter's insurance provides coverage for you and your possessions. A renter's policy protects your personal property in case of theft or fire. It can also shield you from personal liability. Anyone who leases a house or apartment should consider this type of coverage.